We are a neighborhood school that offers a home for families who are seeking to educate their children in the Catholic faith and help them to develop strong leadership skills.
School Performance Report
Annunciation Catholic School at Christ the King is accredited by the state of Indiana - Indiana Public Law 221 and AdvancED (formerly called the North Central Association).
Annunciation Catholic School at Christ the King is a member of the National Catholic Education Association (NCEA) and Indiana Non-Public Education Association (INPEA).
Christ The King Parish began in 1938 with a small white church on the corner of Chandler and Vann. Construction on the school started about 10 years later when the Diocese decided another school was needed because St. Benedict’s School had become overcrowded. The school opened in the fall of 1949. This was followed by the dedication of the new church in 1952. The new church was designed to be a combination gym and auditorium! The initial enrollment was 371 students who were taught primarily by the Sisters of St. Benedict.
By 1962, the parish faced the challenge of overcrowded conditions as the school enrollment swelled to 665, and the church could no longer hold the growing congregation. Both problems were alleviated in 1962 when another new parish and school, the Church of the Nativity, now known as Nativity Church, was built on the southeast side of Evansville.
By 1985, the school was taught solely by lay teachers, and the convent located on our campus was converted into a Parish Center. The Parish Center now houses the administrative offices for the parish, and serves as a central meeting place.
In 1996, a gymnasium, a computer and a science lab were constructed on the southwest corner of the school. A new heating and air conditioning system was installed in 2001. Portions of the school and administrative suites were renovated in 2004-2005.
Despite the many additions and remodeling over the years, all of our buildings are connected and all teacher and administrative computers are networked. This affords easy access between the buildings on our campus, and encourages a holistic education of the body, mind, and spirit.